Dr Lisa Wilson
Associations & Memberships
Registered Practitioner Psychologist
Health and Care Professions Council: PYL27436
– Autism assessments for people over the age of 7.
– Psychological therapy for a range of presentations, including:
• Depression and low mood
• Low self-esteem
• Shame and guilt
• Loss and bereavement
• Relationship difficulties
• Workplace issues such as bullying and stress
I worked for the NHS from 2000 until 2019, with people across the lifespan, to support them to manage the impact of a variety of mental and physical health presentations. I began working in private practice alongside this in 2015, before becoming fully self-employed in 2019 so I could take care of my family alongside my work commitments. Since this time, I have been providing autism assessments and psychological therapy for children and adults over the age of 7. My focus has always been to welcome people into a non-judgemental therapeutic space, to consider and meet their needs, and to support them in the direction of their values.
I have chosen to work predominantly within neurodivergence since 2019 and strive to provide a neurodivergent affirming service that respects the individuality of each person. There has been considerable change in recent times, with social media enabling access to information and increasing awareness of autism and neurodivergence. However, there are still many myths and stereotypes surrounding neurodivergence that risk being barriers for people seeking help and requesting necessary adaptations that minimise the imbalances of living in a neurotypical world. Autism assessments can be a helpful mechanism for supporting individuals and people within their networks towards a helpful understanding of themselves and how to meet their needs.
For a lot of us, having a framework for understanding ourselves can be important in minimising confusion, supporting self-compassionate acceptance, and leaning in to celebrating who we are. A diagnostic assessment is not the only means of reaching this shared understanding however, and consideration is always paid to what an individual needs, wants and chooses.
Training & Qualifications
• Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS); Hogrefe, 2017.
• Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy), University of Birmingham, 2008-2011.
• Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Research (PGDipPRM); Open University, 2008.
• Degree in Psychology (BScHons); University of Warwick, 2001-2004.
Continuing Professional Development
• Diagnosis and Assessment of Adults with ADHD; UKAAN, 2023.
• Understanding Alexithymia and the Autism-ADHD connection; Dr Neff, 2023.
• Safeguarding Children Level 3; Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust, 2023.
• The Art of Low Demand Parenting in the Real Word: Screens; Dr Fisher and Eliza Fricker, 2023.
• The Art of Low Demand Parenting in the Real Word; Dr Fisher and Eliza Fricker, 2023.
• Helping your Autistic Teen with Anxiety; Dr Fisher and Eliza Fricker, 2023.
• ACT with Young People on the Autistic Spectrum; Dr Wassner, Contextual Consulting, 2023.
• Helping your Autistic Child with Anxiety; Dr Fisher and Eliza Fricker, 2023.
• The Art of Low Demand Parenting: Behaviour; Dr Fisher and Eliza Fricker, 2023.
• Advocating for Autism; Chris Bonnello, 2023.
• ADOS Reliability Training Workshop; ASD Directions, Feb and March 2022.
• Assessing ADHD in Children and Young People; Dr Steer, 2022.
• Conversations on Managing Anxiety; Dr Beardon, Autistic Girls Network, 2022.
• Neurodivergent Sensory Processing; The Autistic OT, 2022.
• ADOS Reliability Training Workshop; Hogrefe. 2021
• Understanding Autism in Women and Girls; Sunshine Support Organisation, 2021.
• Supporting Autistic People in the Right Way; Spectrum Gaming, 2021.
• Mindfulness and Acceptance for Self-Esteem; Dr Bennett and Dr Oliver, Contextual Consulting, 2021.
• ADOS Reliability Training Workshop; ASD Directions, Jan and Dec 2020.
• Compassion Focused Therapy for people with Attachment Trauma; Prof Gilbert, Dr Lucre and Dr Ord, 2020.
• ADOS Reliability Training Workshop; Hogrefe, Dec 2019.
• ADOS Reliability Training Workshop; Hogrefe; Jul 2018.
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Shame and Self-Criticism, Contextual Consulting, 2017.
• Mentalisation Based Practice; South Essex Partnership NHS Trust, 2015.
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; Russ Harris, 2014.
• Helping Survivors of Childhood Trauma; Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre, 2014.
• Treating Long Standing and Complex Patterns of Avoidance; Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre, 2014.
• Introduction to Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT); Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust, 2012.
• Introduction to Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy (REBT); University of Birmingham, 2011.
• Introduction to Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT); Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust 2010.
What I Offer
I offer autism assessments that are embedded within a multidisciplinary team at Mind to Mind Therapies. These are predominantly face-to-face assessments but, for some people, anxiety and other difficulties can make attending face-to-face sessions difficult. We therefore also offer remote assessments for those that require it.
I work with a few people therapeutically online and use a tailored approach to accommodate their profile of strengths, difference and difficulties. I predominantly use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), though this is informed by Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Cognitive-Analytic Therapy (CAT).
Please contact me at email@example.com for our fees, our information leaflet about autism assessment, or to arrange a free initial telephone consultation.